Off-Road Vehicle Permits & Passes | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota

Off-Road Vehicle Permits & Passes

Important Information to Know Before You Purchase
  • Online orders will be MAILED to you.

  • Please allow 8 to 10 days for your permit(s) to arrive via U.S. Postal ServiceShipping times may vary.

  • 2023 Off-Road Vehicle Permits are valid through Dec. 31, 2023

  • The permits are a stick-on decal and must be placed on the vehicle. A print option is not available.


Purchase Your 2023 Off-Road Permits Here

Purchase Online 



Permits may also be purchased in-person, seven days a week at:

Black Hills Visitor Information Center
1851 Discovery Circle, Rapid City, SD (Exit 61 off Interstate 90) 

Learn more about Black Hills area off-road riding by viewing our digital Off-Road Adventures Guide.

Off-Road Adventures Guide 

Additional Permit Information

Online purchase Notes and Information

Orders will be processed and mailed via USPS. Please allow 8-10 days for your permit(s) to arrive as shipping times may vary.

  • Watch your mail! Your order will arrive in a white envelope from the Black Hills & Badlands Tourism Association.
  • The Black Hills National Forest no longer requires the license number or color of vehicle to purchase a permit.
  • Permit orders are non-refundable and lost permits will not be replaced.

If you have further questions email, or call 605-355-3600 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.  

Off-Road Permit Information

All motor vehicles traveling on motorized trails in the South Dakota portion of the Black Hills National Forest are required to have a Black Hills Motorized Trail Permit (sticker).

The permit must be attached to the vehicle on the left front or left front side before riding on the trails.

Permits are for private use vehicles only. Commercial (rental) vehicles are required to have a commercial use permit, which is available at any Black Hills National Forest office.

Permits are valid through December 31, 2023.

Black Hills National Forest Motorized Trails

The South Dakota portion of the Black Hills National Forest boasts one of the largest motorized trail systems in a National Forest that is open to vehicles 62 inches or less in width. It currently consists of more than 3,600 miles of open roads—over 680 miles are designated trails for Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)—and has 21 designated motorized trailheads.

Cross-country travel is prohibited in the forest, except for the open roads and motorized trails as shown on the free Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) provided with trail permits and available online or at forest service offices. Visitors are responsible for using the information on these maps, and knowing which roads and trails are open for various types of motorized use.

For specific information on road and trail use in the Black Hills National Forest, visit

For information on OHV trail riding areas visit the Black Hills National Forest website

For current trail conditions and closures, visit Black Hills National Forest Current Conditions page.


Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available for the 1.2 million-acre Black Hills National Forest and are the official map for designating all roads, trails and areas available for public motorized travel on the National Forest.

The MVUM can be downloaded and viewed on GPS units as well as your mobile device using GPS apps, such as Avenza Maps. Instructions for downloading map HERE. Using GPS navigation does not require cellular service if the map is downloaded on the device.

For more information on downloading the MVUM for free, visit Black Hills National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps page.

Permits purchased online will not include an MVUM with the mailed permit, however, operators are responsible for obtaining an MVUM.

South Dakota Registration

Licensed OHVs are permitted to operate on all South Dakota highways and roadways. South Dakota law strictly prohibits OHV use on the interstate highway system at all times.

For information on licensing, visit

ATV/UTV Road Use

ATVs/UTVs may be used on most road and highways as long as the vehicle is registered and licensed. If you live in a state where ATVs/UTVs cannot be licensed for road use, you may not ride on roads in South Dakota unless you obtain a special road travel permit, available at any county courthouse.

Out-of-State Riders

In order for out-of-state visitors to ride an ATV/UTV in the Black Hills, the following are required: TEMPORARY PERMIT AFFIDAVIT from the County Treasurer (this allows you to ride on or across county and state roads & Forest Service roads) FORM #1030 HERE or the motor vehicle must be licensed or certified under state law for general operation on all public roads in the state.

If you have questions regarding whether you will need the temporary permit affidavit, please call the South Dakota Department of Motor Vehicles at 605-773-3541.

Counties within Black Hills Forest Service

  • Lawrence-Spearfish, SD
  • Meade-Sturgis, SD
  • Pennington –Rapid City, SD
  • Custer-Custer, SD

For more information visit:

Wyoming Off-Highway-Vehicle Permits

Please note that the State of Wyoming requires a separate permit when operating an OHV in Wyoming. There is no reciprocity for out-of-state registrations. The Wyoming portion of the Black Hills National Forest is subject to different regulations. The motorized trails in the Wyoming portion of the Black Hills National Forest are open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width.

For information on OHV Rules and Regulations in Wyoming, visit Wyoming State Parks Parks.

Ride Responsibly

Motorized vehicle operators are responsible for knowing and abiding by OHV travel regulations. Minimize your impact on the environment when you ride by traveling responsibly, respecting the rights of others, educating yourself and avoiding sensitive areas.

For tips on riding ethically and responsibly, visit Tread Lightly!