2019 Black Hills National Forest Motorized Trail Permit (Annual Pass) | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota

2019 Black Hills National Forest Motorized Trail Permit (Annual Pass)


The large amount of moisture received in the Black Hills National Forest in recent weeks has led to adverse effects on select areas, causing the temporary closure of certain Forest Service roads, trails, boat docks, and recreational areas until normal conditions are restored. These closures are in place to ensure the safety of the public as well as protect valuable natural resources. For the latest updates on these closures, please visit the Black Hills National Forest website.


Notes & Information

 Orders will be processed and mailed via USPS. Please allow 8-10 days for your permit(s) to arrive as shipping times may vary.


  • The Black Hills National Forest no longer requires the license number or color of vehicle to purchase a permit.
  • Watch your mail! Your order will arrive in a white 9" x 6" envelope from the Black Hills & Badlands Tourism Association and will include your FREE copy of the Black Hills Off-Road Adventures guide.

Permit Envelope

  • Permit orders are non-refundable and lost permits will not be replaced.

Please call (605) 355-3600 or email, info@blackhillsbadlands.com if you have any further questions. Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm. 



All motor vehicles traveling on motorized trails in the South Dakota portion of the Black Hills National Forest are required to have a Black Hills Motorized Trail Permit (sticker). The permit must be attached to the vehicle on the left front or left front side before riding on the trails. Permits are for private use vehicles only. Commercial (rental) vehicles are required to have a commercial use permit, which is available at any Black Hills National Forest office.

The South Dakota portion of the Black Hills National Forest boasts one of the largest motorized trail systems in a National Forest that is open to vehicles 62 inches or less in width. It currently consists of more than 3,600 miles of open roads—over 680 miles are designated trails for Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)—and has 21 designated motorized trailheads.

Permits are available as a seven-day consecutive pass, $20, or an annual pass, $25. Permits can be purchased at any National Forest Office or at the Black Hills Visitor Information Center, conveniently located off Interstate 90 at Exit 61 in Rapid City. The visitor center is open seven days a week, year-round, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and offers extended summer hours. Annual passes are available for online purchase. Additional charges for shipping and handling apply.

Cross-country travel is prohibited in the forest, except for the open roads and motorized trails as shown on the free Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) provided with trail permits and available online or at forest service offices. Visitors are responsible for using the information on these maps, and knowing which roads and trails are open for various types of motorized use.

The MVUM can be downloaded and viewed on GPS units as well as your mobile device using GPS apps, such as Avenza Maps. Using GPS navigation does not require cellular service if the map is downloaded on the device. For more information on downloading the MVUM for free, visit www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=FSEPRD533421. Permits purchased online will not include a MVUM with the mailed permit, however, operators are responsible for obtaining an MVUM.

Licensed OHVs are permitted to operate on all South Dakota highways and roadways. South Dakota law strictly prohibits OHV use on the interstate highway system at all times. For information on licensing, visit www.dmv.org/sd-south-dakota/other-types-of-vehicles.php.

Please note that the State of Wyoming requires a separate permit when operating an OHV in Wyoming. There is no reciprocity for out-of-state registrations. The Wyoming portion of the Black Hills National Forest is subject to different regulations. The motorized trails in the Wyoming portion of the Black Hills National Forest are open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width. For information on OHV Rules and Regulation in Wyoming, visit wyotrails.state.wy.us/ORV/Permits.aspx.

For specific information on road and trail use in the Black Hills National Forest, visit www.fs.usda.gov/blackhills.

Ride responsibly. Motorized vehicle operators are responsible for knowing and abiding by OHV travel regulations. Minimize your impact on the environment when you ride by traveling responsibly, respecting the rights of others, educating yourself and avoiding sensitive areas. For tips on riding ethically and responsibly, visit Tread Lightly!.

Permit Address

Shopping cart

Your shopping cart is empty.