2012 Black Hills Motorized Trail Permits available | Black Hills Travel Blog

2012 Black Hills Motorized Trail Permits available

By : 

atv620There are more than 3,800 miles of off-road trails and roads on the 1.2 million-acre Black Hills National Forest.  The Black Hills National Forest Motorized Trail System consists of 3,157 miles of roads and 707 miles of trails for ATV, UTV and other off-road riders and provides enjoyment for all levels of off-road enthusiasts.

If you have plans to hit the open roads and motorized trails in the Black Hills this year, be sure to pick up your 2012 Motorized Trail Permit and Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM).  An annual permit is $25 per calendar year or $20 for 7 days. The 2012 permits must be displayed in order to ride legally on the motorized trail system. You can purchase you permit at Forest Service offices, outlets, and online at http://www.fs.usda.gov/blackhills.

It is important to know which Black Hills roads and trails are designated for motor vehicle use.  The MVUM for the Black HIlls National Forest is the official and legal document that displays the National Forest System (NFS) routes or areas designated as open to motorized travel. It also displays allowed uses by vehicle class, seasonal allowances, distance allowances, and provides information on other recall rules and regulations.

About the Author

Madison is a South Dakota native. She grew up outside of Rapid City with the Black Hills literally outside her back door. She attended the University of South Dakota, spent time abroad in Southeastern France. After graduating with her a BFA in graphic design she returned home to the Black Hills where she spends her time hiking, golfing, snowboarding, camping and just enjoying the beautify that she feels so lucky to have right outside her door.

Enjoy These Upcoming Events

You May Also Be interested In